Monday, July 15, 2013

Green birthday tag

Hi everyone,

Yep, it's Monday once again and Simon Says Stamp and Show has a new challenge for you. A fun one, because this week it's all about Good to be Green. Whether you recycle, upcycle something or get messy with green ink or paint, everything is possible and everything is allowed as long as it's green.



I've done a bit of both. Personally, I generally use packaging for example from cereal boxes for die cutting. Obviously it's good for the environment to recycle, but it's also free. Last but not least I think it's great quality cardboard for die cutting, as long as you paint it of course. I have a big pile with cut up cereal boxes and other boxes ready to go when I need it.

 

This tag I made for the little boy of a friend of mine. His name is Tiemo. His name makes me think of time. So I used the mini Pocket Watch die with a Timepiece. For the background I did what I call the Metallic Marbled Stain Technique and used three colors of Distress Stains, Evergreen Bough, Shabby Shutters and Brushed Pewter. I think it's such a cool technique because every time it's different, but also because it's so magical how the metallic Distress Stain reacts with other mediums and with water. In this video Tim Holtz himself demonstrates the technique perfectly.



A cool property of the Metallic Stains is that everything you stamp with dye based inks seems to disappear into the background. The metallic comes right through it. You probably already guessed that Tiemo turned 3 with all the numbers 3 stamped in the back. He really is a little rascal, haha. The letters and pocket watch I cut out of packaging and painted it black with the Pitch Black Paint Dabber. To give the pocket watch some more volume I cut it out several times and glued it together. Of course I also glued some wooden stars down as I do in almost every project I make.





To join in all you need to do is make a project that fits this weeks challenge and you can be the winner of the $50 gift voucher that our amazing sponsor Simon Says Stamp offers. This prize will go to a random entry. So go over to the Stamp and Show Challenge blog, let the DT members inspire you and join in the fun!

Thank you for stopping by! Love to see you next time!

Hugs,
Sandra

18 comments:

Candy C said...

Sandra...gorgeous tag. Those blended background colors are really lovely. Love the time piece and your famous stars. :) I also love the random background stamping you've done in black. <3 Candy

Jenny Marples said...

Adore the way you have used the Metallic Stain marbling technique here Sandra. As ever your tag is dramatic and so well designed. Love it. Hugs, Jenny x

Gráinne said...

Stunningly great TAG. Love it. The background looks so yummie ... Suzanne

Meihsia Liu said...

This is such a beautiful tag, Sandra. I love the fantastic background colors. :)

Maura said...

Beautiful! I love our play on "time" and "Tiemo"

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Super awesome Sandra! Love the background! The paint on the watch piece is awesome!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Hi Sandra, gorgeous tag and blend of colours. Love the large lettering which really pops against your background. Love the clock embellishment too. Lovely. Have a great week. Tracy x x

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Beautiful tag! As always, I love the way you make your backgrounds :)

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Gio said...

Hello Sandra! Your tag is just fantabulous! And quite magical. Love it!

Terry said...

Sandra, I just love your green take and of course that tag! Love the watch! Enjoy the week. Hugs!

Norma Gomez said...

Hi Sandra!! Super fantastic tag :D looking forward to getting in on this challenge!!

Words and Pictures said...

What a glorious background - the whole tag is just lovely!
Alison x

Anonymous said...

love how this turned out!

Anna-Karin said...

Very cool tag Sandra!! Love all the metallic and the clock and stars.

Suzanne C said...

Beautiful mix of colors and inks on the background and love how the word is staggered with the lovely embellishment!

AppleApricot Wen said...

Oh wow, gorgeous tag! Loving those greenish blue colours and the beautiful background and clockwork. Liefs, Wendy

Judy Biggerstaff said...

Love the mar blitzing effect of your tag. I have a grandson who is turning three so I was interested in how you stamped on the background with numbers.

Sandy said...

Thanks for the video showing how you achieved your wonderful background. I love the pocket watch and of course I smile when I see your signature stars!!
Sandy