Monday, November 9, 2015

Navy art journal spread with video tutorial

http://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/mondaychallenge/

Hi everyone,

It's Monday and that means a new Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge! This week it's all about creating something beginning with the letter N. Let's get inspired by products, color, techniques or brands beginning with N.

This time I want to work with navy blue in my art journal, I'm more a turquoise and aqua blue kinda gal. But I immediately thought of the color navy blue for the letter N challenge. It's always a fun challenge to pick a color that I rarely use.

 

First I started to apply a coat of Gesso since it's perfect to work on with water-based inks, like Distress. I then made with washi tape (which didn't stick so well to the gesso) strokes to color them in. The ink leaked under the tape. But actually it gave a pretty nice effect. Then I went with a black watercolor pencil but that was to intense and not I wanted. And because of the Gesso I could fix this easily. Another effect of the gesso, you can also make beautiful drip stains.

 

Below the time-lapse video from beginning to end of this art journal spread. UPDATE: I've uploaded the video again, something went wrong with the music.



SUPPLIES:

50dollar_voucher_600px
To join in all you need to do is make a project that fits this weeks challenge and you can be the winner of the $50 gift voucher that our amazing sponsor Simon Says Stamp offers. This prize will go to a random entry. So go over to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge blog, let the DT members inspire you and join in the fun!
http://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/mondaychallenge/
You have until Monday 8am Ohio time. 1pm UK time, 2 pm CET to join in.

Follow Simon Says Stamp on Instagram
Instagram
If you use instagram add #sssmchallenge to your challenge entry uploads so we can see them on there too!



Thank you for stopping by! Love to see you next time!

Hugs,
Sandra

13 comments:

Lorraine A said...

Gorgeous journal pages Sandra :-) I love blue and this is absolutely fabulous! I have a couple of journals, mostly unused, I really must get them out and give this a go :-)

luv
Lols x x x

Suzanne C said...

Fantastic journal pages. Love the rich navy color and the way you contrast it with the white. Beautiful designs.

Stephanie said...

What a stunning background full of interest! I'm loving this!

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Stunning!!! I LOVE the navy blue, and all the wording and stenciling! Really striking pages!

Maura said...

Gorgeous navy, and love those stencils you used Sandra!

Unknown said...

Wonderful creation!
Thank you for always encouraging me

Dawn Darlene said...

Lovely art journal! :)

Meihsia Liu said...

Love your beautiful journal pages, Sandra. The colors are fantastic! :)

Andrea Ockey Parr said...

I never use navy for some reason, but you've inspired me to revisit such a lovely color combination. I always enjoy seeing the great layers you use in your work and this is no exception!

Barbara said...

Blue is beautiful! Your pages are so fascinating! Great work! Barbarayaya

Anna-Karin said...

The shades of blue are amazing Sandra! And I love all the patterns and details and layers. Stunning page!!

Emma Williams said...

Beautiful pages which are packed full of detail and layers, Sandra and all in my favourite colour! Stunning! Hugs... :)

Mixedmediajenn said...

I came to your site from Simon hoping you explained how you made this beautiful page and I find a process video?! Ah-mazing! Thank you so so much for sharing your process.