Monday, July 24, 2017

Edged Birthday card with video tutorial

http://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/mondaychallenge/
Hi everyone,

It's Monday and that means a new Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge! This week it's all about "You've Got The Edge".

We would like you to focus on the edges of your creation and add some interest to them, You could use die cut borders, distressing, embossing, inking, stitching or any other way to draw your eye to the edges of your project. we will be looking forward to seeing how you interpret this challenge!


For this challenge I went over the edge by placing the Pediment over the edge of my card. But of course I've also distressed the edges of the card, with 3 different products. First Distress Ink Ground Espresso, then Distress Crayon Walnut Stain and last Paint Dabber Pitch Black. I made the background with Distress Oxides in 2 different steps. First the blue tints with a little brown, and then the green tones with a little brown. Then I added some more color to the blending tools.

 

Speaking about the blending tools. Just want to share a little project that I've done with my father, and that I'm thrilled about. My dad has a lathe and we designed the blending tools together. Although we've followed the amazing example of the original mainly. The wood is reclaimed wood from my uncle's old bed. The tray they are stored in is made out of foamboard (love it). The transparencies with the colored labels also have a small piece of velcro stapled on them to store the blending foams. Because I only have 22 blending tools (there was all we could get out of the wood we got...), and there will 60 colors, so I need storage for the other colors. I've already made transparencies for all the 60 colors, because let's be honest, I want them all of course... The transparencies in the tray with the blending tool also have velcro on them so I can switch the colors I want on a blending tool when the other colors come out. So happy with the outcome of this little project!

 

But back to the card again. The next step was to paint the Old Townscape black, then sanding it and inking it up with Ground Espresso and different Distress Oxides. Then I added some more effect by using Prima Marketing waxen. It now looks like rusty metal houses. Which is a little crazy ...

 

VIDEO:



SUPPLIES:

50dollar_voucher_600px
To join in all you need to do is make a project that fits this weeks challenge and you can be the winner of the $50 gift voucher that our amazing sponsor Simon Says Stamp offers. This prize will go to a random entry. So go over to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge blog, let the DT members inspire you and join in the fun!
http://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/mondaychallenge/
You have until Monday 8am Ohio time. 1pm UK time, 2 pm CET to join in.

Follow Simon Says Stamp on Instagram
Instagram
If you use instagram add #sssmchallenge to your challenge entry uploads so we can see them on there too!

http://www.simonsaysstamp.com/

Thank you for stopping by! Love to see you next time!

Hugs,
Sandra

18 comments:

simo said...

How beautiful is this? Love the background and the "rusty' tiny houses!!! The home-made blending tool are perfect!!! Hugs xxx

Catherine said...

I love this, Sandra! Those houses are so cute and the background is amazing.

Cathie ♥

Lorraine A said...

Heel mooi!! 😜 My sister and her hubby are here from Nijmegen and are teaching me Dutch 😉 Love this Sandra, the whole design is AWESOME!!
Love your storage too, I need to make something, mine are just thrown in a box in a jumble 😉

Luv
Lols x x x

Stephanie said...

You are the queen of backgrounds, Sandra! This is so SUPER cool! I love how you finished it off with a bit of sparkle! : )

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Cheryl said...

Sandra, I have been enjoying your work for some time now, yet have never commented. I must tell you,you make the most neautiful cards. I love your style and the way you manipulate the Distress Inks. The backgrounds you do are absolutely stunning!

Cheryl said...

BTW, it is so cool that you and your dad made the blending tools from your uncle's bed. It makes for a fond memory.

Macarena said...

OMG! I am still amazed by what you did with your dad! This is beyond fabulous! I hope you find more wood to make it for the remaining colors. Great job!
The background you made is absolutely AMAZING and I am always in awe of your building of backgrounds with oxides, infusions, etc. A pure perfection! Hugs, Marzena

Maura said...

What an awesome project with your dad! Great idea for storing the blending tools!!! And your card is gorgeous - amazing background, the top is totally cool, and love the white dots on the houses!! hugs, maura

Words and Pictures said...

Stunning inky background (and so impressed with the blending tools you made with your father). This is a fantastic card - love the dots bringing the tiny houses to life and great use of the horizontal stripes to support the greeting. Very, very cool!
Alison x

Dawn Darlene said...

that bkg is swoon worthy! i pinned this! :)

Emma Williams said...

Such a cool card, Sandra and I love how you've used the pediment at the top, it looks fabulous! Hugs :)

Meihsia Liu said...

Love the beautiful background colors and the fabulous townscape embellishments on this card! Sandra. Great design! :)

Kath Stewart said...

another amazing DO background Sandra and love the little townscape at the bottom...hugs kath xxx

Barbara said...

fabulous card, love the sketch and the colors! I adore your idea to storage blending tools!

Zoey | Scrapsaurus said...

I am amazed by your card but also by the way you store the blending tools!!! Such an awesome idea!

AlexaCzar said...

beautiful backround ...just fabolous.
Thanks for the inspiration.
Greets
Alexa

BONOMI PREFABBRICATI said...

Your content are perfect and so useful.Metal Houses

sanpiseth40 said...

I love how you've used the pediment at the top, it looks fabulous! Hugs :)


ตารางคะแนนลาลีกา