Monday, January 7, 2019

A Bug's Love art journal spread with video tutorial

http://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/mondaychallenge/
Hi everyone,

It's Monday and that means a new Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge! This week it's all about "Use Something New".


It has been some time since I made an art journal spread and I thought this perfect to start with that as the beginning of the new year. First I stamped randomly with the background stamp of the Entomology set. On top of that I used  a brand new product Nuvo Expanding Mousse (thanks, Marzena!). I used it first with the Tiles stencil. I hadn't read the instructions on the package properly, and thought it would expand on its own as it dried, but it really needs heat. So when I heated it, it didn't work, so I thought I was too late. Then I used it with the Numbered stencil and immediately used the heat tool. Then I found out that it just takes a very long time before it expands, it has to be really, really, really hot. It's really cool that it becomes completely puffy as if it were foam or something.


 

Then I applied a layer of Clear Gesso. I did that with a big brush, but I went over it again with a plastic card to get it a bit more smooth. After the Gesso was dry I used Infusions and Nuvo Shimmer Powders. With I was drying it I noticed that the Expanding Mousse still expanded, even though it was dry. Good to know :). I simply need to be more patient... I stamped a couple of bugs from the Entomology set and colored them with different colors of Distress Inks, and I finally used the corresponding dies! I have had them a while now... It wasn't perfect, I didn't align them well enough. But with a black marker I fixed all the edges, so it's all good;). For the sentiment I used the Simon Says Stamp Ornate Love die from the You Are Loved release together with the Alpha Thinlits.

 

VIDEO:



SUPPLIES:


50dollar_voucher_600px
To join in all you need to do is make a project that fits this weeks challenge and you can be the winner of the $50 gift voucher that our amazing sponsor Simon Says Stamp offers. This prize will go to a random entry. So go over to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge blog, let the DT members inspire you and join in the fun!
http://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/mondaychallenge/
You have until Monday 8am Ohio time. 1pm UK time, 2 pm CET to join in.

Follow Simon Says Stamp on Instagram
Instagram
If you use instagram add #sssmchallenge to your challenge entry uploads so we can see them on there too!

http://www.simonsaysstamp.com/

Thank you for stopping by! Love to see you next time!

Hugs,
Sandra

9 comments:

Lorraine A said...

Oooh Sandra! these pages are absolutely GORGEOUS! I love the textured background and will have to try some of that mousse! how fab is that! the little bugs and details are fabulous, LOVE it :-)

Happy New Year! I hope 2019 is a fabulous one for you! :-)

luv
Lols x x x

Beulah Bee said...

When I read, "A Bug's Love," I thought about how the ones that bite love me! Your pages look great. Regarding the mousse, could you tell me what advantage it has over regular texture paste? Seems like a lot of trouble for the same effect but I may have missed something? 123beulahbee@gmail.com

D.Ann C said...

Your journal spread really bugs me! lol!! LOVE the color combos and fab depth and dimension you achieved!

Maura said...

Such a cool set of pages with the fabulous texture and bugs! Love how you created your background, Sandra, and the bold strips of letters going across.That foam sounds interesting. Here's to a creative year and happy new year!

Billie A said...

I always get excited when I see I have an email from you. I love your creative mind. I love your work and how it all comes together. Awesome pages. I love them.

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Gorgeous pages, love all the layered elements and the bugs look fantastic . Tracy x

Meihsia Liu said...

Love your fabulous journal pages, Sandra. The texture and colors on the background are amazing. :)

Anna-Karin said...

Such fantastic pages Sandra!! I love all the wonderful texture and details. Happy New Creative Year!!

Zoey | Scrapsaurus said...

What a beautiful art journal page you created!! Well done!!