Monday, February 18, 2013

Foam board storage

Hi everyone,

Another week has arrived and that means Simon Says Stamp and Show has a new challenge in store for us. This week we get to work with metal, because the theme is Metal-ology! I must admit that I had a little trouble with this challenge. I wanted to make something different.
But before I share you my project I wanted to tell you guys we have a fabulous guest designer, Janeen at SuburbNgyspy. Check out here amazing project she made for us this week!




For a while I was looking for a good way to store my stencils and rub-ons, because the box where I kept them in wasn't really convenient. Why shouldn't I make some storage for them. I had some foam board left over and I went straight to work. Fortunately I have worked with foam board before and know what I should and should not do. First I drew how I wanted it and soon I had the necessary parts cut out.



The parts I painted all black, because almost all of my storage stuff is black. And it just looks really cool in black. To give it a metal edge, I painted the edges with the Pearl Paint Dabber. Yes indeed, the Pearl Dabber. On black it looks like aluminum. Unfortunately, it doesn't really show in the pictures.



To make it as practical as possible, I wanted to use dividers, and I wanted them to be adjustible. Well, how would I solve this? A light bulb moment later I realized I could use corrugated cardstock for it. This I also painted black and smeared it with a little bit of Pearl Paint Dabber. And glued it to the sides.



Then it was time to assemble the box. I already knew that the glue gun and I aren't best friends and Tacky Glue is such a better friend to me! That really works perfectly and make it all fit great together. To make sure that everything stays in place, I stuck some sequin pins in it. I didn't have to wait for it to dry. I used it right away!



To embellish it, I painted some left over corrugated cardstock, and on top op that I cut some letters out of Metal Foil. Finally, something of real metal ... LOL.







In the picture you can't see very well that the box has sloping edges, but that makes it a bit different and easier in use. It's so amazing how light it is and yet so strong. Although it's made out of foam board, it is very robust.



To join in all you need to do is make a project that fits this weeks challenge and you can be the winner of the $50 gift voucher that our amazing sponsor Simon Says Stamp offers. This prize will go to a random entry. So go over to the Stamp and Show Challenge blog, let the DT members inspire you and join in the fun!

Thank you for stopping by! Love to see you next time!

Hugs,
Sandra

23 comments:

Patricia said...

Hij is echt ZO GEWELDIG, en in het echt nog VEEL mooier haha
Groetjes Patricia

Suzanne C said...

Beautiful inspired storage! Glad you shared the step outs too! Brilliant idea!

ria gall said...

A great storage solution and a fun piece to enter into the challenge, it shows that we do not always have to rush out to buy new things when we have so much stock and such great ideas, I love this idea
ria

Anonymous said...

Hello, Neat post. There's an issue along with your website in internet explorer, might test this? IE still is the marketplace chief and a good section of people will leave out your fantastic writing due to this problem.

Feel free to visit my website :: http://aquaconservation.com/wildlife/healthy-smile-with-cheap-dental-plans-in-california

crealinedance said...

Hallo leuke box heb je gemaakt.Gr.Nel

Terry said...

Do we ever have enough storage for our little crafty items? Sandra, this is such a great idea and project! Have a great week! Hugs!

Shelly Hickox said...

What a cool project!! I love this idea!

Candy C said...

Sandra...this is a very cool idea! Love how you put this together and the colors you used ! Thanks for the step by step. Hugs, Candy

Gillian .... said...

Fantastic storage idea, looks great.:)

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Fabulous idea Sandra and beautifully executed too. Love the idea and what a wonderful storage idea too. Wonderful step by steps. Enjoy your week. Tracy x x

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Great storage!!! Love the step out photos...make total sense and so practical!

Annie said...

Fabulous make Sandra.......and useful storage too.
Thanks for the 'how to'

Hugs
Annie x

Terry said...

Fabulous San, wat een goed idee zeg om zo je spulletjes op te ruimen supersss hoor meis, veel liefs Terry xxxx

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Cool storage, Sandra!! I'm sure you will enjoy this for years to come and love how organized it will keep you :)


*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Sandy said...

You always rise to the occasion Sandra and this storage box is a grand idea and so functional too - you smart lady!!
sandy

Anjas-Artefaktotum said...

Wonderful box, great art working.
lG Anja

Anna-Karin said...

Such a great idea Sandra! Love that created your own storage box and it was such a clever idea to use the corrugated board. Fabulous finish!

Jenny Marples said...

What wonderful storage Sannie!!! This is such a clever idea and so well executed. Would love to see it full of your stash:) Hugs, Jenny x

Norma Gomez said...

This is such a great project, you can't even tell that's foam board. Thanks for the inspiration!!

Words and Pictures said...

Fantastic storage box... so well-designed so that it exactly suits your needs, and I love the subtle metallic sheen from the Pearl dabber (gotta get me one of those!).
Alison x

Marjie Kemper said...

This is fabulous! What a cool storage idea. Stencils are always snagging on one another and this is a perfect solution.

Anonymous said...

this is so clever!!!

sara j said...

Brilliant idea...my stencil storage is so NOT working for me....and this looks amazingly cool...I just might have to "adapt" (or let's see, steal I think might be a better word) this concept. Grand idea!!